Below the Executive level, we perform a wide range of assessments on Sales Teams and individuals. One example of a recent engagement was for a client who asked for our ‘Sales Needs Assessment Programme’ (SNAP) covering 200 Sales people in ten countries. In this, we performed some face to face role play and case studies and we also conducted some telephone based assessments because these sales people needed to have advanced skills in communicating over the telephone.
We reported to the Sales Executive on our findings and recommendations on all the participating individuals and on the management processes needed to ensure the consistency of reviews and reports. A summary of our approach is as follows:-
- Apply objective assessment processes that are unbiased and fair to all candidates,
- Assess performance against agreed competencies that are key to the role,
- Use simulations and other methods of assessment that are relevant to the role,
- Situational Judgement Tests:
We assess an individual’s judgement and decision making skills in typical sales scenarios. This can be using case study role-play and may be either face to face on the territory or by telephone if this is appropriate. We then report against relevant key competencies such as the following:-
- Leadership: identifying the right direction; and motivating others,
- Managing Relationships: working with others; handling difficult people,
- Planning and Co-ordinating: deciding priorities; organising and scheduling work,
- Managing Performance: measuring and improving performance; exceeding targets.
References – RDC has a strict policy of complete confidentiality concerning its client’s operations, but is also pleased to have reached agreements with most of its clients who are willing to provide references. If you wish, we can let you have the personal telephone numbers of senior Sales Executives in most parts of the world who will be happy to discuss how you could benefit, as they have, from RDC’s consultancy services.